The Database of Houses
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Lord W
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
The Help Center


Home > New Search > Highgrove House (High Grove)

Highgrove House (High Grove)  England 
Near Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Started 1796
Completed 1798

Status: Fully Extant


Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

District Today
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
Near Tetbury

Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date

From the 1825 publication Storer's Views in the County of Gloucestershire

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

From the 1825 publication Storer's Views in the County of Gloucestershire
19th century iron finial with the feathers of the Prince of Wales

Designed   Rebuilt interiors for A.C. Mitchell after 1893 fire
Date   1894

Designed   Alterations for Maurice Macmillan
Date   1960s

Designed   House for John Paul Paul
Date   1796-98
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Designed   Remodeled main façade of House, together with the Prince of Wales.
Date   1989

Extant / Listed / References

Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

House Listed As 
Grade II
Gardens Listed As  
Not Listed
Country House:  Yes

Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Access / Ownership / Seat

Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Grounds Only
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
Fax Number

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
The Crown / Royal Family
Primary Current Ownership Use
Private Home
Current Ownership Use / Details
Owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. Country seat of the Prince of Wales. Gardens are open to the public.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor, Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.
A Past Seat(s) of
Josiah Paul Tippetts, 18th century. John Paul Paul, 19th century; Paul family here 18th century-1860. Col. E.J. Strachey, 1860-64. William Hamilton Yatman, 1864-93. A.C. Mitchell, 1864-? Maurice Macmillan, mid-20th century.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
House & Family History
Highgrove was built for members of the Paul family, French Huguenot clothiers who settled in Gloucestershire in the 17th and 18th centuries. Josiah Paul Tippetts inherited the Paul family’s property in 1789, at which time he changed his surname, rather confusingly, to Paul. Josiah had married Mary Clark of Tetbury in 1771, and it was through her that he inherited the Highgrove Estate. It was their son, John Paul Paul, who, between 1796 and 1798, built the rectangular ashlar house with giant pilasters and a fine Palladian window on the second floor. The designer of Highgrove is not known for certain, but it seems likely that it was the Gloucestershire architect Anthony Keck. In 1860 the Paul family sold Highgrove to Col. E.J. Strachey, who, in turn, sold the Estate in 1864 to a barrister by the name of William Hamilton Yatman. It was during Yatman’s ownership that the devastating 1893 fire gutted all of the original interiors; Yatman, by this time an old man, decided it was easier to move than rebuild. He sold the Estate to A.C. Mitchell, who hired John Hart of Bristol in 1894 to rebuild the interiors within the surviving shell in a simplified version of the original design. In 1980 the Duchy of Cornwall purchased Highgrove from Maurice Macmillan (son of former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan) for use as a country house by HRH The Prince of Wales (the Prince is also the Duke of Cornwall). The House was decorated by Dudley Poplak, the interior decorator who also worked on the Prince and Princess of Wales’s apartment at Kensington Palace, and the royal couple moved into Highgrove in the fall of 1981. In 1988 the plain exterior of the House was embellished with a new pediment, balustrade, and giant Ionic pilasters, all to the designs of the Prince of Wales. At the same time a new single-story staff annex was also added.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
The Prince of Wales, a keen gardener, designed many of the gardens at Highgrove himself, including the Wild Garden, the Formal Garden, and the walled Kitchen Garden. The Prince’s gardens have become famous and attracted international attention, becoming the subject of numerous gardening books and magazine articles. The Estate, which borders Westonbirt Arboretum, is home to the National Beech Collection. The 900 acres of the Estate are farmed by the Duchy of Cornwall, who grow vegetables, fruit, and flowers organically (the move to organic farming at Highgrove began in 1985 and was completed in 1996). Animal husbandry is also practiced on the Estate; the beef herd includes pedigree Angus bulls, Aberdeen-Angus females and yearlings, and Angus cross Friesian cows. There is also a flock of Mule and Masham sheep.
Chapel & Church

Location for Movies / TV

Author   Kingsley, Nicholas
Year Published   1992
Reference   pgs. 158-160

There are no documents associated with this house.

This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2016 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.