About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Acton Park (Acton Hall), Wrexham

Acton Park (Acton Hall), Wrexham  Wales 
Wrexham, Wales

Circa Date: Rebuilt 1687-95

Status: Destroyed
Details: Demolished 1954

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
Wales
District Today
Wrexham
 Historic County
Denbighshire
 City / Town / Village
 Latitude
53.041955
 Longitude
-2.997129

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
Rebuilt 1687-95
Images

We're sorry, this house does not currently have any images available to illustrate it. Please check back often - we are always updating the Database. If you have an image of this or any other house, send it to us! Please make sure any images submitted are copyright cleared, and send them to us: Click Here to Email Us
Architects

There are no architects associated with this house.
Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Destroyed
Extant Details
Demolished 1954

Listed
House Listed As 
Unknown
Gardens Listed As  
Unknown
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Vol. II, p. 213, 1853.
Country Life
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
2.S. Vol. V, 1829.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Demolished
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
Fax Number
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use
Demolished
Current Ownership Use / Details

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
Part of the grounds are owned by Wrexham government and open as a public park.
A Past Seat(s) of
George Jeffreys, later 1st Baron Jeffreys of Wem, 17th century. Sir Griffith Jeffreys, 17th century. Philip Egerton. Ellis Yonge. Sir Foster Cunliffe. Sir Bernard Oppenheimer, early 20th century. William Aston, 20th century.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
House & Family History
Acton Park was the birthplace of the infamous George Jeffreys (May 15, 1645–Apr 18, 1689), later 1st Baron Jeffreys of Wem, and best known as Judge Jeffreys or "The Hanging Judge.” Sir Griffith Jeffreys rebuilt Acton Hall between 1687 and 1695, while his wife, Dame Dorothy, is notable for establishing a charity in her will that helped to found many of the first schools in Wrexham. In 1917 Acton Park was bought by Sir Bernard Oppenheimer, who opened a diamond cutting school and workshop in the grounds. The plan was to provide jobs for ex-servicemen on their return from active duty after World War I; however, Sir Bernard's death in 1921 led to the closing of the workshop. In 1921 William Aston purchased the House and grounds, with plans to convert the House into a technical school. Instead, the House became a showroom and warehouse for Aston's furniture company, while the grounds were opened to the public. In 1939 the War Office requisitioned Acton Park and Nissen huts were erected in the ground for the soldiers, while the officers put up in the House. The Royal Welsh Fusiliers, the South Wales Borderers, the Lancashire Fusiliers, and the Gurkhas were just a few of the British regiments stationed at Acton during World War II. In 1943 the US Army 33rd Signals Construction Battalion and 400th Armored Field Artillery Battalion were billeted at Acton Park. The US Army left the House in very poor condition, which resulted in the North Wing being demolished just after the War. By 1954 the House was virtually ruinous and a campaign was begun by Alderman Hampson to save Acton as Wrexham’s museum; his efforts failed and the House was demolished in 1954.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
In the early 20th century Nine Acre Field and sixty acres near Rhosnesni Lane, both part of the Acton Estate, were purchased by the Borough Council. Patrick Abercrombie was commissioned to design a housing development for the sixty acre parcel, while the rest of the Estate was turned into small holdings for ex-soldiers. During the extreme rationing conditions of 1945-47 the local population plundered the Park for firewood. In the late 20th century a new housing development along Herbert Jennings Avenue was built over much of the Park, with the remainder of the Park saved as green space.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
Bibliography

Author   Holmes, Michael
Year Published   1986
Reference  



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.