About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > West Wycombe Park

West Wycombe Park  England 
west WICK-um
West Wycombe, near High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

Circa Date: 1720s; remodeled 1750s-70s

Status: Fully Extant

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name
west WICK-um

Location
Country
England
District Today
Buckinghamshire
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
West Wycombe, near High Wycombe
 Latitude
51.6413977406845
 Longitude
-0.80292906976706

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
1720s; remodeled 1750s-70s
Images

The South Front

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

The South Front
The West Portico
The Cascade and Music Temple
The Temple of Apollo
Architects

Designed   Naturalized the landscape
Date   Circa 1800

Designed   Primitive Hut (1974), the Temple of Venus (1982), and Edward’s Bridge (1985).
Date   1974-85

Designed   Landscaping
Date   18th century

Designed   May have done unspecified work for Sir Francis Dashwood
Date   18th century
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Designed   Probably acted as draftsman and clerk of works for Sir Francis Dashwood. Probably designed Cockpit Arch or Temple of Apollo.
Date   1761-63
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Designed   Ionic West Portico (1771), Temple of Flora (1778-80, demolished), Music Temple (1778-80), and Round Temple (circa 1775).
Date   1771-80

Designed   Had a hand in designing House and grounds for himself
Date   Circa 1750-70

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Grade I
Gardens Listed As  
Grade I
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
C. V, pls. 47-79, 1771.
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
XXXIX, 16 plan, 48, 1916. LXXIII, 466, 494, 1933. CLV, 1618, 1682, 1974.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Vol. I, 1818.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Yes
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
01494-513-569
Fax Number
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
The National Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use
Visitor Attraction
Current Ownership Use / Details

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
Sir Edward Dashwood. The Dashwoods continue to live in a wing of house now owned by The National Trust.
A Past Seat(s) of
Sir Francis Dashwood, later 15th Lord Le Despenser, 18th century.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
An earlier manor house, on lower ground, was demolished when the core of the existing house was begun in the early 18th century.
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
Sir Francis Dashwood, 1st Baronet; rebuilt by the 2nd Sir Francis.
House & Family History
Built as an 18th century pleasure palace, West Wycombe is one of the most Italianate houses in England. The House was inspired by the late Renaissance villas of the Veneto and encapsulates the entire progression of 18th century British architecture, from Palladian to Neoclassical. The West Wycombe Estate was acquired in 1698 by Sir Francis Dashwood, 1st Bt., and his brother, Samuel; they demolished the existing manor house and built the core of the current house on higher ground nearby. The 1st Sir Francis’s house appears from early images to have been a typical and uninspired square Restoration style house. It was this house that the 2nd Sir Francis, at the age of 16, inherited from his father in 1724. With the help of executant architects and draftsmen, the 2nd Sir Francis took to remodeling the House and grounds with great gusto. His uncle and guardian was John Fane, Earl of Westmorland, who was building one of Britain’s most important Palladian houses – Mereworth Castle in Kent – during the time he was Dashwood’s guardian. (Upon the death of the Earl of Westmorland in 1762 Sir Francis inherited Mereworth.) It’s not a far stretch to say that Dashwood was influenced by his uncle’s house in the remodeling of his own, which he started when he returned from Greece and the Grand Tour in 1735. Dashwood was one of the founders of the Society of Dilettanti in 1736, and through it met Nicholas Revett, whom he commissioned to complete the remodeling he had begun. The House was reformed as a long rectangle with four columned and pedimented facades presented as classical temples. The Ionic West Portico is based on the Temple of Bacchus at Teos, which Revett measured 1764-66. The East Front is a replica in miniature of Mereworth Castle, while the grand South Front, with its famous double loggia (virtually unique on an English house), was inspired by a palace in Vicenza designed by Palladio. From the painted ceilings depicting classical scenes of Roman and Greek mythology, to the marble floors, West Wycombe is a non-stop celebration of Italy. Many of the public rooms have painted ceilings copied from Italian palazzi, most notably from the Palazzo Farnese in Rome. The Entrance Hall, which resembles a Roman atrium, features scagliola columns and a painted ceiling copied from Robert Wood's "Ruins of Palmyra." The Tapestry Room is hung with tapestries, woven circa 1710, that depict peasant scenes by Teniers. Given to the 1st Duke of Marlborough to celebrate his victories in the Low Countries, the tapestries were later cut down to fit the room (the Duke was a distant relation of the Dashwoods). The ceiling fresco in the Music Room depicts "The Banquet of the Gods" and was copied from the Villa Farnesina. The Saloon features statues of the four seasons with a ceiling depicting "The Council of the Gods and the Admission of Psyche," also a copy from the Villa Farnesina. The Dining Room, with a painted ceiling from Wood’s "Ruins of Palmyra," has faux jasper walls and features paintings of the 2nd Sir Francis and his fellow members of the Divan Club (a society for those who had visited the Ottoman Empire). The Blue Drawing Room is hung with Italian paintings of the 17th century and is dominated by the ornate painted ceiling depicting "The Triumph of Bacchus and Ariadne." The 2nd Sir Francis was the creator of the infamous Hell Fire Club, also called the Knights of St. Francis of Wycombe, the Monks of Medmenham, or Dashwood’s Apostles. It appears that the Club met twice a year, usually at Medmenham Abbey, though also sometimes in the famous West Wycombe Caves, where its members, who came from the top of society and included a Regius Professor at Oxford and a First Lord of the Admiralty, devoted themselves exclusively to getting drunk and whoring. Benjamin Franklin was a good friend of Sir Francis and spent considerable time at West Wycombe. Franklin and Sir Francis together published a simplified version of "The Book of Common Prayer" in 1773. It has also been suggested that Franklin, no stranger to libertine ways, attended meetings of the Hell Fire Club. Franklin was devoted to Dashwood and obviously enjoyed staying at West Wycombe; he wrote to his son in 1773: "I am in this house as much at ease as if it was my own: and the gardens are a paradise. But a pleasanter thing is the kind countenance and the facetious and very intelligent conversation of mine host, who, having…seen all parts of Europe and kept the best company in the world is himself the best existing." During World War II the House saw service as art storage for the treasures of the Wallace Collection, while also serving as a convalescent home. A troop of gunners occupied the service wing, while the Park was used for the inflation of barrage balloons. The Dashwood family moved to the top floor of the House and took in lodgers to pay the bills (James Lees-Milne and Nancy Mitford, among them). In addition, The National Trust moved the majority of their offices to West Wycombe, where they remained for most of the War. The House, together with the immediate grounds and a small endowment, was given to The National Trust in 1943 by Sir John Dashwood, 10th Bt. (1896–1966). The Dashwoods retained ownership of the majority of the Estate and the contents of the House and continue to make West Wycombe their home. The current baronet, Sir Edward Dashwood, is the president of the West Wycombe Polo Club, who have their grounds on the Estate.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
Unusual in its use of classical architecture from both Italy and Greece, the gardens at West Wycombe are among the finest and most eccentric 18th century gardens surviving in England. The original layout of the gardens was in the shape of a female body, with appropriately placed shrubs, streams, and thickets. Humphry Repton, during his naturalizing of the gardens, removed most of the earlier "female" design. The Cockpit Arch, or Temple of Apollo, is a large arch built of flint. It was probably designed by John Donowell in 1761 and contains a painted lead copy of the Apollo Belvedere, probably by John Cheere. Over the arch is a panel with the motto of the Hell Fire Club. The famous Music Temple of 1778-80 was designed by Nicholas Revett and sits grandly in the middle of the lake (the lake originally had a Spanish galleon for the amusement of Sir Francis’s guests, complete with a resident captain onboard). Revett also designed the Temple of Flora (1778-80; demolished), and the Round Temple (circa 1775), a circular dovecote with a pyramid roof. The Temple of the Winds is a loose recreation of the Tower of the Winds in Athens. It was probably completed by 1759, which places it three years before the publication of James “Athenian” Stuart’s and Nicholas Revett’s famous book "Antiquities of Athens." Stuart’s Doric Temple of Theseus at Hagley Hall in Worcestershire (erected 1758) is the only similar structure that pre-dates the Temple of the Winds as the earliest attempt in England to reproduce a monument of Greek antiquity. The famous Cascade was installed in the 1740s, probably designed by a Frenchman named Jolivet. The Sawmill, faced in flint and three stories tall, once held a giant statue of William Penn on its roof; the statue was removed by Repton in 1800. The Primitive Hut was designed by Quinlan Terry in 1974. In 1982 Terry’s Temple of Venus was erected, followed in 1985 by the architect’s Edward’s Bridge.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
"To the Devil a Daughter" (1976). "Another Country" (1984). "Dead Man's Folly" (1986). "White Hunter Black Heart" (1990). "Agatha Christie's Poirot" (1993 - TV series, in the episode "The Case of the Missing Will" the Temple of the Winds was used as the folly). "Carrington" (1995 - as the exterior where Mark Gertler seduces Carrington). “An Ideal Husband” (1999). "History of Britain" (2000 - TV documentary series, shown from an aerial shot). "Just Visiting" (2001). "The Importance of Being Earnest" (2002 - as Jack Worthing's country estate in Hertfordshire). "Daniel Deronda" (2002 - TV mini series). "The Lost Prince" (2003 - TV movie). "I Capture the Castle" (2003 - as Scoatney). "What a Girl Wants" (2003). "He Knew He Was Right" (2004 - BBC TV mini series). "Inspector Lewis" (2007 - TV series, season 1, episode 1, in the episdoe "Whom the Gods Would Destroy," the Music Temple was used as the Temple on Platt's estate). "Foyle's War" (2007 - as the interiors of De Perez's house in the episode "Casualties of War"). "The Duchess" (2008). "Marple: A Pocket Full of Rye" (2008 - TV series, as Pinewood Sanitorium). "Little Dorrit" (2008 - TV mini series, using the Hellfire Caves as Marseilles dungeons). "Foyle's War" (2010 – TV series, season 7, episode 3: "The Hide," as Whitefriars, the Devereaux family seat). "Downton Abbey" (2011-13 - TV series, as the interiors of Lady Rosamund Painswick's London house). "Austenland" (2013 - as Pembroke Park). "Marple" (2013 - TV series, in the episode "Endless Night," season 6, episode 3, West Wycombe was the hotel in Rome). "Belle" (2013 - as exterior and interiors of Kenwood House). "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (2015).
Bibliography

Author   Jackson-Stops, Gervase; Pipkin, James
Year Published   1998
Reference   pg. 149


Author   NA
Year Published   NA
Reference   Autumn 2002, pg. 10


Author   Worsley, Giles
Year Published   1995
Reference   pg. 143


Author   Colvin, Howard
Year Published   1995
Reference   pgs. 316, 807, 858


Author   Hussey, Christopher
Year Published   1955
Reference   pg. 234


Author   Esher, Lionel
Year Published   1997
Reference   pg. 99


Author   Pevsner, Nikolaus; Williamson, Elizabeth
Year Published   1994
Reference   pgs. 727, 728, 733, 735, 736, 737, 738


Author   NA
Year Published   1996
Reference   pgs. 34-35


Author   Aslet, Clive
Year Published   2005
Reference   pg. 247


Author   Jackson-Stops, Gervase; Pipkin, James (Photographer)
Year Published   1987
Reference   pg. 139



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.