About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Weston Park (Weston Hall), Shropshire

Weston Park (Weston Hall), Shropshire  England 
Weston-Under-Lizard, near Shifnal, Shropshire, England

Circa Date: 1671 w/later alterations and additions

Status: Fully Extant

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
Shropshire
 Historic County
Staffordshire
 City / Town / Village
Weston-Under-Lizard, near Shifnal
 Latitude
52.6929
 Longitude
-2.288

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
1671 w/later alterations and additions
Images

The Garden Façade

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

The Garden Façade
The Entrance Façade
The Orangery Garden
The Parterre
The Temple
The Temple
Garden view to the Temple
Sundial in the Park
The Walled Garden
The Greenhouse
The Brick Barn
St. Andrew's Church
Interior of St. Andrew's Church
Royal arms on altar rail in St. Andrew's Church
The restored Cascade Garden, spring 2014


Images From The V&A

Images courtesy of and copyright by the Victoria & Albert Museum, London

Fragment of wallpaper with a design of of sprigs of leaves and stylised floral shapes; Colour woodblock print, on paper.
Architects

Designed   Worked with William Burn on alterations to House for 3rd and 4th Earls of Bradford
Date  

Designed   Repairs and improvements for 2nd Lord Bradford, later 1st Earl of Bradford.
Date   1802-08

Designed   Consulted about landscaping
Date   1827-28

Designed   Alterations for 2nd Earl of Bradford
Date   1830-31

Designed   Alterations and additions to House for 3rd Earl of Bradford, including new entrance and Orangery.
Date   1866

Designed   Wilbraham family monuments in Weston Church for Lady Elizabeth Wilbraham
Date   Circa 1671

Designed   Chimneypieces for House, Temple of Diana and Roman Bridge in Park.
Date   Circa 1765-70

Designed   Parkland
Date   18th century

Designed   May have designed House
Date   1671
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Designed   May have been involved in building house for Sir John and Lady Wilbraham
Date   1670s
Attribution of this work is uncertain.

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Grade I
Gardens Listed As  
Grade II
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
II, 592, 1897. XCVIII, 818, 864, 910, 1945. XCIX, 904 [Sporting pictures], 1946. C, 1006 [Portraits], 1946.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
2.S. Vol. V, 1829.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
By Appointment
Historic Houses Association Member
Yes
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
01952-852-100
Fax Number
01952-850-430
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Private Non-Profit
Primary Current Ownership Use
Conference Center
Current Ownership Use / Details
Owned by The Weston Park Foundation and used as conference center, wedding venue, and exclusive accommodation.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
Newport family. Sir Thomas Wilbraham, 17th century. Bridgeman family, later Earls of Bradford, until 1986.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
Sir Thomas and Lady Wilbraham
House & Family History
Set on the Shropshire/Staffordshire border and noted for its warm and welcoming atmosphere, Weston Park is a brick house with stone dressings built for Sir Thomas and Lady Wilbraham in 1671. Eleven bays wide and three stories high, its three ranges originally enclosed a courtyard. In 1865 the East Facade was given its Porch and converted into the Entrance Facade. The Entrance Hall contains a screen of two Roman Doric columns complemented by a wrought iron staircase railing of 1899. The Bridgemans, later Earls of Bradford, inherited the Estate in 1762 and remained seated here until the late 20th century. At the death of the 6th Earl of Bradford in 1981 a Capital Transfer Tax of £5.5 million came due on the Estate, which prompted the creation of a non-profit foundation (1986-87) that took ownership of the House, Estate, and contents. The Weston Park Foundation came into being with the help of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, which gave £7,762,222 to purchase the House and some of the contents. (We are most grateful to Gareth Williams, Curator to the Weston Park Foundation, for this history.)
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
The collection at Weston represents the collecting interests of several generations of the Newport and Bridgeman families and spans almost every type of fine and decorative art. The collection boasts works by Holbein the Younger, Thomas Gainsborough, Sir Joshua Reynolds, and George Stubbs. The family patronized Thomas Chippendale and his sensational chairs line the walls of the Entrance Hall, alongside works by Morel & Hughes, royal furniture makers to the Prince of Wales, later King George IV. Weston’s collection of ceramics includes Chinese and Japanese porcelain, in addition to pieces by Derby, Worcester, Wedgwood, and Coalport. The collection is also rich in silver, displayed in a custom-built treasury, the star of which is the Stem Cup fashioned from Charles II’s Great Seal of England. The Tapestry Room houses a superb set of Gobelins tapestries featuring the “Love of the Gods” commissioned for Weston (or possibly the family’s London house) by Sir Henry Bridgeman in the 1760s. Bassano’s "Christ on the Way to Calvary" was sold to the National Gallery (London) in 1983. Some contents were sold in 1986-87. The following paintings were sold to remain on site: Sir Anthony Van Dyck’s "Sir Thomas Hanmer," Claude-Joseph Vernet’s "Coastal Scene," and John Constable’s "Henry Greswolde Lewis." (We are grateful to Gareth Williams for this overview of the collection at Weston Park.)
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
The Park was landscaped in the 18th century by Capability Brown, whose colossal plan and contracts remain in the collection at Weston today. The huge Stables, eleven bays long, are of 1688. An enormous brick barn, described by Christopher Hussey as "one of the noblest architectural products of the agricultural 'revolution' worked by the great landowners of the late eighteenth century," is in a position of prominence in the landscape. Weston is noted for its collection of follies, which include the Temple of Diana by James Paine, one of the most notable of its type in the country, with wall paintings by G.B.I. Colombe, a circular Tea Room in its center, and an octagonal Music Room adjoining the Tea Room (Paine also designed the Roman Bridge). In addition, scattered about the Park, are the Orangery (1866), the Swiss Cottage, the Beaux-Arts Grecian Mausoleum (1870), the Obelisk, and boathouses.
Chapel & Church
Attached to the House is St. Andrew's Church, which maintains an active congregation.

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
"Lost in Austen" (2008 - TV mini series).
Bibliography

Author   Sayer, Michael
Year Published   1993
Reference  


Author   Colvin, Howard
Year Published   2008
Reference   pgs. 195, 771, 868, 1030, 1098, 1110, 1130



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.