About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Dover House (Fetherstonhaugh House) (York House) (Melbourne House)

Dover House (Fetherstonhaugh House) (York House) (Melbourne House)  England 
Whitehall, London, England

Started 1754
Completed 1758 w/1787 alterations

Status: Fully Extant

    

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
London
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
Whitehall
 Latitude
51.5042608347791
 Longitude
-0.126717201223414

Date
Start Date
1754
Completion Date
1758 w/1787 alterations
Circa Date
Images

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

Architects

Designed   Added Portico and domed Entrance Hall and rebuilt West Front in Neoclasical style for Frederick, Duke of York.
Date   1787

Designed   House for Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh
Date   1754-58

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Grade I
Gardens Listed As  
No Gardens
Country House:  No
Townhouse

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
No
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
Fax Number
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Government
Primary Current Ownership Use
Offices
Current Ownership Use / Details
Currently serves as the Scotland Office of the British government.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh, Bt., 1758-76. Frederick, Duke of York, late 18th century. Melbourne family, 1793-1830. George James Welbore Agar-Ellis, Lord Dover, and his family, 1830-85.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh, Bt.
House & Family History
Originally designed as Fetherstonhaugh House by James Paine for Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh, Bt., MP, in the 1750s, and sold by his widow circa 1776. Prince Frederick, Duke of York (son of George III), purchased the House in December 1787 and promptly renamed it York House (something he was to do again when he purchased Melbourne House in Piccadilly in 1792; the name appeared again when the Duke began to build today's Lancaster House, St. James's). Frederick engaged Henry Holland to update and enlarge the House in the fashionable Neoclassical style. Renamed Dover House in the 1830s (after the last private owner, George James Welbore Agar-Ellis, Lord Dover), the House has served as the government's Scotland Office since Lord Dover's family vacated in 1885. Dover House's rotunda, designed by Henry Holland and inserted into the former forecourt, is unique as the entrance to a London mansion.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
Bibliography

Author   Colvin, Howard
Year Published   2008
Reference   pgs. 529, 769


Author   Woodley, Roger
Year Published   2002
Reference  


Author   Watkin, David
Year Published   2004
Reference   pgs. 197-198



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.