About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Wanstead House (Wansted)

Wanstead House (Wansted)  England 
Wanstead, London, England

Started 1715
Completed 1722

Status: Destroyed
Details: Demolished 1823

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
London
 Historic County
Essex
 City / Town / Village
Wanstead
 Latitude
51.5689897933583
 Longitude
3.50822407531268

Date
Start Date
1715
Completion Date
1722
Circa Date
Images

The House from an 18th century engraving

Architects

Designed   Gardens
Date   Circa 1707

Designed   Palladian house for Sir Richard Child
Date   1715-22

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Destroyed
Extant Details
Demolished 1823

Listed
House Listed As 
Demolished
Gardens Listed As  
Grade II*
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
C. I, pls. 21-27, 1715. C. III, pls. 39, 40, 1725.
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
LXXIV, 605, 1933.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Grounds Only
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
Fax Number
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use
Demolished
Current Ownership Use / Details
The former grounds of the house are now part of a public park.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
Sir Josiah Child, 17th century, seated at earlier house. Sir Richard Child, later Viscount Castlemain and 1st Earl Tylney, 18th century. Sir James Long, 7th Bt., late 18th century. Sir James Tylney-Long, 8th Bt., 1794-1805. Louis Joseph, Prince de Condé, early 19th century. William Pole-Tylney-Long-Wellesley, early 19th century.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
The earlier House on the site was one of the largest in Essex. It was said that the House contained 40 hearths when it was purchased by Sir Josiah Child in 1673-74.
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
Sir Richard Child
House & Family History
In the early 18th century Colen Campbell built a new Palladian house for Sir Richard Child, later Viscount Castlemain and 1st Earl Tylney, replacing an earlier house purchased by Sir Richard’s father in the late 17th century. The enormous new house of 21 bays was 260 feet wide and featured an Entrance Hall that was 51 feet long by 36 feet wide by 36 feet high. Campbell claimed that Wanstead, with its large hexastyle portico was the first of its type in England (the great portico from Canons, Middlesex [demolished in the 18th century], is generally believed to have been purchased by Sir Richard for Wanstead). Upon the 1st Lord Tylney’s death in 1750, his eldest son, John, became the 2nd Earl Tylney. At the 2nd Earl’s death in 1784, having no male heirs, the Wanstead Estate passed to Sir James Long, 7th Bt., the son of the 2nd Earl’s elder sister, Emma (the Earldom of Tylney became extinct at death of the 2nd Earl). When Sir James died in 1794, Wanstead became the property of his infant son, Sir James Tylney-Long, 8th Bt. The young Sir James died in 1805 at the age of 11, whereupon Wanstead was inherited by his younger sister, Catherine Tylney-Long, who became the richest heiress in England. Being unmarried, Catherine leased the House to Louis Joseph, Prince de Condé. At the time of her marriage to William Pole-Tylney-Long-Wellesley in 1812, Catherine and her new husband took back possession of Wanstead and made it their seat. The House served as a center for massive gatherings; Pole-Tylney-Long-Wellesley’s desire for Wanstead to exceed the splendor of the Prince Regent’s Carlton House resulted in his ruin and the sale of the contents in 1822 and the demolition of the House in 1823. A painting of Wanstead by Rev. Thomas Streatfield (1777-1848) is now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut. The Philadelphia Museum of Art has in its collection a fine painting by Hogarth, circa 1730, that shows a reception room at Wanstead. Wanstead's interiors were remarkable for their splendor and set the pattern of interior decoration of large English houses for decades.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Sir Richard Child was one of the primary patrons of the Flemish painter Old Nollekens and a large collection of his work was housed at Wanstead. The 6th Duke of Devonshire purchased for Chatsworth at the 1822 sale of the contents of Wanstead a very large carved table and a set of gasoliers (these purchases remain at Chatsworth, with the latter now in the Sculpture Gallery).
Comments
John Harris, writing in "The Design of the English House, 1620-1920," states that Wanstead "was the first proper temple-portico, for its ridge passed through the house to appear on the opposite front as a pilastered portico." The Campbell house, preceding Burlington, is considered the archetypal Palladian great house and one of the greatest mansions of its time.

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
The Grotto and The Temple are both extant and Grade II-listed. Sir Richard Child, Viscount Castlemain and 1st Earl Tylney, was buried on May 29, 1750 at Wanstead.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
Bibliography

Author   Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published   1981
Reference  


Author   Harris, John
Year Published   1998
Reference  


Author   NA
Year Published   1979
Reference  


Author   Thornton, Peter
Year Published   1985
Reference   pg. 104


Author   Harris, John
Year Published   1985
Reference   pg. 116


Author   Sproule, Anna
Year Published   1982
Reference   pg. 93


Author   NA
Year Published   2010
Reference   pg. 303



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.