About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Crichel House (Critchill House) (More Crichel)

Crichel House (Critchill House) (More Crichel)  England 
Moor Crichel, Dorset, England

Circa Date: 1744 w/major remodeling in 1770s

Status: Fully Extant

    

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

Location
Country
England
District Today
Dorset
 Historic County
Dorsetshire
 City / Town / Village
Moor Crichel
 Latitude
50.87443
 Longitude
-2.00953

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
1744 w/major remodeling in 1770s
Images

The House from an early 20th century postcard

Architects

Designed   Additions for H.G. Sturt
Date   1869

Designed   Alterations to Entrance for H.S. Sturt
Date   1831

Designed   Italian Garden
Date  

Designed   Rebuilt House after fire, together with Francis Cartwright, for Sir William Napier, Bt.
Date   1744-46

Designed   Rebuilt House after fire, together with John Bastard, for Sir William Napier, Bt.
Date   1744-46

Designed   Interiors of principal rooms for Humphrey Sturt
Date   1772-80

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Grade I
Gardens Listed As  
Grade II
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Country Life
LVII, 766 plan, 814, 874, 1925.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Vol. I, 1818.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
No
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
Fax Number
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use
Private Home
Current Ownership Use / Details

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
Alington/Sturt/Marten family here for 300 years.
A Past Seat(s) of
Humphrey Sturt, 18th century. Sir William Napier, Bt., 18th century. Lord Alington, late 19th-early 20th centuries.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
The manor house of More Crichel, circa 1615, burned in 1742 and was replaced by the present house.
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
House & Family History
In 1742 the original Tudor house of the Napier family was largely destroyed by fire. Crichel was rebuilt for Sir William Napier between 1744 and 1746 and extensively remodeled in the 1770s by Humphrey Sturt, who inherited the Estate in 1765. Sturt engaged James Wyatt to redesign the interiors; Wyatt employed Biagio Rebecca for painted décor, John Linnell and Ince and Mayhew for furniture, and John Devall for the chimneypieces. George IV, while Prince Regent, stayed at Crichel. Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales, George IV's only legimate child, made Crichel House her home for a time under the care of Lady Rosslyn. Edward VII visited Crichel House in 1905.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
Circhel sits in a park of 400 acres and features a crescent-shaped lake covering 50 acres.
Chapel & Church

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
"Barry Lyndon" (1975). “Maurice” (1987 - the Crichel Boathouse was the boathouse were Maurice and Scudder meet). "Emma" (1996 - as Donwell Abbey, Mr. Knightley's home).
Bibliography

Author   Colvin, Howard
Year Published   1995
Reference   pgs. 109, 192, 231, 515, 1114


Author   Pym, John
Year Published   1995
Reference   pg. 60



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.