The Database of Houses
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Lord W
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
The Help Center


Home > New Search > Wall Hall (Aldenham Abbey)

Wall Hall (Aldenham Abbey)  England 
Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, England

Circa Date: 1802 w/circa 1830 alterations

Status: Fully Extant


Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name

District Today
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
Aldenham, Hertsmere

Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
1802 w/circa 1830 alterations

We're sorry, this house does not currently have any images available to illustrate it. Please check back often - we are always updating the Database. If you have an image of this or any other house, send it to us! Please make sure any images submitted are copyright cleared, and send them to us: Click Here to Email Us

Designed   Landscaping

Extant / Listed / References

Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

House Listed As 
Grade II
Gardens Listed As  
Grade II
Country House:  Yes

Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Vol. I, p. 264, 1852.
Country Life
LV, 282, 1924.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
Access / Ownership / Seat

Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
Fax Number

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Primary Current Ownership Use
Current Ownership Use / Details

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
A Past Seat(s) of
George Woodford Thelluson, early 19th century. John Pierpont Morgan, Jr., early 20th century. Joseph Kennedy (as U.S. Ambassador to Britain), during World War II.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
George Woodford Thelluson
House & Family History
Wall Hall is a turreted and castellated house covered in cement that was built in 1802 for George Woodford Thelluson and originally called Aldenham Abbey. Thelluson was a successful City banker who is mentioned in Charles Dickensís "A Tale of Two Cities." Circa 1830 alterations and additions were made to the House. In 1901 the famous American banker J.P. Morgan, Jr. rented the 300-acre Estate (he purchased it in 1910 and changed the Estate's name to Wall Hall). Morgan entertained the cream of society and the Royal family, including the young Elizabeth, later Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. During the Second World War Wall Hall served as the residence of the U.S. Ambassador, Joseph Kennedy. In 1945 the House was converted to serve as a teacher training college, later becoming the University of Hertfordshire. In 2003 the University vacated, and in 2007 the House and other listed buildings on the 56-acre site were converted by Octagon Development into 25 homes, with a further 76 houses and apartments being built, along with a two-story office block, sports pavilion, and parking lot. The Greenhouse and 1960s-style university buildings were demolished.
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
The grounds contain the Stable Block, an Ionic covered garden seat, artificial ruins, the Ice House, and a Gothick style Conservatory. During the Great War J.P. Morgan, Jr. had the parkland ploughed up and had wheat planted for the war effort.
Chapel & Church

Location for Movies / TV
"No Time For Tears" (1957 - as the children's hospital). "H.G. Wells' Invisible Man" (1959 - TV series, episode 1.3, "Behind the Mask," as Raphael Constantine's home). "The Nanny" (1965 - as the psychiatric hospital). "The Saint" (1967 - TV series, episode 5.20, "The Counterfeit Countess," aka "The Counterfeit Contessa," as the Contessa's villa). "The Vampire Lovers" (1970 - as Roger Morton's mansion). "The Adventurer" (1972 - TV series, episode 1.13, "Action!", as General McCreedy's house). "Foyle's War" (2004 - TV series, episode 3.2, "Enemy Fire," as Digby Manor interiors).

Author   Holmes, Michael
Year Published   1986

Author   Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
Year Published   2000
Reference   pg. 67

Author   Chernow, Ron
Year Published   2001
Reference   pgs. 95, 97, 191, 264

There are no documents associated with this house.

This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2015 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.