About
The Database of Houses
Tours
Lectures
Pronunciation Guide
Burke's Peerage Search
British Money
Education
Lord W
Links
Awards
Acknowledgements
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Search
The Help Center
Home


 

Home > New Search > Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle  England 
ARR-n-dul
Arundel, West Sussex, England

Circa Date: 11th century core w/later additions and alterations

Status: Fully Extant

    

Special Info / Location/ Date

Special Info
Phonetic Pronunciation of House Name
ARR-n-dul

Location
Country
England
District Today
West Sussex
 Historic County
 City / Town / Village
Arundel
 Latitude
50.8562904786743
 Longitude
-0.553916771827744

Date
Start Date
Completion Date
Circa Date
11th century core w/later additions and alterations
Images

The Castle from a circa 1900 photograph published by Francis Firth & Co.

Click on thumbnail for a larger view

The Castle from a circa 1900 photograph published by Francis Firth & Co.
Castle from the air
Castle from the meadow in circa 1910 postcard
Fitzalan Chapel


Images From The V&A

Images courtesy of and copyright by the Victoria & Albert Museum, London

This illustration shares the page with another illustration entitled 'Triumphal Arch at Arundel'. In the centre there is a puppet booth surrounded by a large audience.
Sketch of Arundel Castle, surrounded by trees.
Architects

Designed   Added Mausoleum to Fitzalan Chapel for 14th Duke
Date   19th century

Designed   Restored Fitzalan Chapel (1886) and rebuilt Castle in Windsor Castle style (1890-1903) for 15th Duke
Date   1886-1903

Designed   Gothic style additions to Castle
Date   1791-1815

Designed   Main Lodge
Date   1851

Extant / Listed / References

Extant
Extant Type
Fully Extant
Extant Details

Listed
House Listed As 
Grade I
Gardens Listed As  
Grade II*
Country House:  Yes

References
Vitruvius Britannicus
Vitruvius Scoticus
J.B. Burke (Burke's Visitation of Seats)
Vol. I, p. 87, 1852.
Country Life
XXXVI, 746, 782 plan, 814, 853 [Furniture], 1914. CLXXIII, 196 [Collection], 280 [Collection], 332 [Collection], 1983.
J.P. Neale (Neale's Views of Seats)
2.S. Vol. IV, 1828.
Access / Ownership / Seat

Access
Open to Public Please note: Houses listed as being open "By Appointment" are usually country house hotels, B&Bs, or schools.
Yes
Historic Houses Association Member
Phone Number If calling from the U.S., delete the first "0" in British numbers.
01903-882-173
Fax Number
01903-884-581
Email
Website
Awards

Current Ownership
Current Ownership Type
Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use
Private Home
Current Ownership Use / Details
Private home of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk. House is owned by Arundel Castle Trustees Limited.

Seat ("Seat" is loosely defined as any family that occupied the house for a period of 2 years or more)
Today Seat of
Duke of Norfolk, also Baron Beaumont and Baron Howard of Glossop, Fitzalan Howard family.
A Past Seat(s) of
Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel, 11th century. Queen Adeliza, 12th century. Earl of Surrey.
Possible (Unsure) Seat of
History / Gardens & Park / Movies

History
Earlier House(s) / Building(s)
House Replaced By
Built / Designed For
House & Family History
Arundel Castle, situated in magnificent grounds overlooking the River Arun in West Sussex, was built at the end of the 11th century by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel. At Christmas 1067 William the Conqueror created Roger Earl of Arundel and gave him a third of the county of Sussex as a reward for his stewardship of Normandy while William was taking care of conquering England. Roger very likely built the original motte and bailey castle on the site, probably of earth and timber, making Arundel older than Windsor Castle (only the Gatehouse remains from Roger's time). Queen Adeliza of Louvain, the widow of Henry I, was granted the Castle and lands as her dowry in 1138. Henry II added, circa 1170-circa 1190, a shell keep on top of the motte and other towers. Arundel has been the seat of the Dukes of Norfolk and Earls of Arundel for over 800 years. In 1643, during the Civil War, the original Castle was badly damaged and later restored by the 8th, 11th, and 15th Dukes in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Duke of Norfolk is the Premier Duke of Great Britain (the oldest dukedom in England), the title having been conferred on Sir John Howard in 1483 by his friend, King Richard III. The Dukedom was originally created in 1397 by Richard II and conferred on Thomas Mowbray; after the Mowbray line died out it was bestowed upon the Howard family. The Dukedom carries with it (since 1672) the hereditary office of Earl Marshal of England. This means that the Duke is in charge of state ceremonies such as the coronation and funeral of the sovereign and such occasions as the sovereign declares shall be a state occasion, e.g., the investiture of The Prince of Wales and the funeral of Sir Winston Churchill. As Earl Marshal, the Duke is head of the College of Arms, founded in 1484, the official authority on heraldry and genealogy in England and Wales. In addition, through his subsidiary title of Earl of Arundel, the Duke of Norfolk is also the premier Earl of England. Among the historically famous members of the Howard family are Lord Howard of Effingham, who, with Francis Drake, repelled the Spanish Armada; the Earl of Surrey, the Tudor poet and courtier; and the 3rd Duke of Norfolk, uncle of Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, both of whom became wives of King Henry VIII. Queen Victoria (1819-1901) came from Osborne House with her husband, Prince Albert, for a three-day visit in December 1846. In honor of the Queen and Prince’s visit, the 13th Duke commissioned a complete set of gold and white Elizabethan style furniture, including a massive bed, from the fashionable London decorator George Morant. The Queen’s portrait by William Fowler was commissioned by the 13th Duke in 1843. During World War II Arundel was taken over (from 1940 until 1945) by the British Army and occupied by British, Canadian, and American troops. Arundel Castle is today the home of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk and their children. (We are most grateful to the Arundel Castle Estate and Eileen Wallace for contributing the vast majority of this history of Arundel Castle).
Collections This field lists art objects that are currently or were previously in the collection of the house.

For information on the history of British currency, click here.  To use a chart that allows you to compare the purchasing power of money In Great Britain from 1264 to any other year, including the present, click here.  To use a currency conversion to see the current value of the British pound, click here.
The Library at Arundel is one of the most important country house libraries in Britain. It contains 10,000 books and is particularly rich in Catholic history. Arundel has among its treasures a collection of fine furniture dating from the 16th century, portraits by Van Dyck (8), Gainsborough, Reynolds, Mytens, Lawrence, tapestries, and clocks. Personal possessions of Mary, Queen of Scots, and a selection of historical, religious and heraldic items from the Duke of Norfolk's collection are also on display. The Archives at Arundel house the Bryant Index of Country Houses, a project started in the mid-20th century by Gilbert Ernest Bryant (1878-1965) to document British country houses. Most of the famous collection of ancient marbles (the Arundel Marbles) formed by Thomas Howard, 14th Earl of Arundel (the "Collector Earl"), is today in the collection of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (it was given to the Ashmolean in 1677 by the Earl's grandson), with a few pieces at Arundel Castle.
Comments

Gardens & Park
Garden, Park, Follies and Outbuildings
On May 14, 2008 the Prince of Wales opened the new Collector Earl's Garden at Arundel Castle. The garden, designed by the husband-and-wife team of Isabel and Julian Bannerman, was conceived as a light-hearted tribute to Thomas Howard, 14th Earl of Arundel (1585-1646), known as “The Collector Earl.” Lord Arundel is considered the first of the great English art collectors, particularly noted for his collection of antique marbles, once at Arundel House, London (currently the site of the Howard Hotel and Temple Underground Station). His collection is today primarily at the University of Oxford and the Library of the Royal Society (many of his portrait paintings, as well as other pieces from his collection, form the basis of the collection at Arundel Castle). Lord Arundel died in exile in Padua, Italy, during the English Civil War, and, though his body was brought back to England and buried in the Fitzalan Chapel at Arundel, the ornate tomb he specified in his will was never built. This garden, adjoining the Chapel, can now be interpreted as his memorial. The formal Jacobean garden is an artistic re-creation of what the Collector Earl’s formal garden at Arundel House in London may have been like. The domed pergola and fountains are based on those seen in the garden vista of Arundel House in the background of the famous Mytens portrait of the Countess of Arundel (today in the Drawing Room at Arundel Castle), while the green oak gateways and pavilions are based on Inigo Jones’s designs for Arundel House. The planting is restrained (no flowers) and the garden is divided into formal courts with a center canal pond and a tufa-lined cascade. The centerpiece is the rockwork mountain, planted with palms and rare ferns, which supports a green oak version of Oberon’s Palace. The other-worldly Palace is based on the famous spectacle designed by Inigo Jones for Prince Henry’s masque on New Year’s Day 1611. Inside the shell-lined interior is a stalagmite fountain that features the Dancing Coronet, a gold ducal coronet that rises and falls, held in place by pressure from the fountain. The new garden occupies about a third of the area of the Georgian and Victorian Walled Kitchen Garden, which, for the last forty years, had been an unattractive parking lot (the remaining two-thirds of the Walled Kitchen Garden have been converted into an organic kitchen garden). Hiorn's Tower was built in 1790 in the Gothic style by Francis Hiorn.
Chapel & Church
The Fitzalan Chapel was founded in 1380 by Richard, 4th Earl of Arundel, as a collegiate chapel served by secular canons. In the late Middle Ages the Chapel was a noted center of music, with a fine choir, for which much early English polyphony was especially composed. In the reign Henry VIII the College was dissolved as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, with the result that the Chapel and other buildings were returned to the family, where they have remained the private property of the Earls of Arundel and the Dukes of Norfolk ever since. In 1643 the Chapel was badly damaged in the Civil War, and in 1782 the original carved timber roof was destroyed. The Chapel was restored in stages throughout the 19th century, with the 14th Duke adding the Mausoleum on the south side to the designs of Matthew Ellison Hadfield, and the 15th Duke undertaking a major restoration in 1886 to the plans of Charles Buckler. In 1879, in an action heard before Lord Chief Justice Coleridge, it was determined that the Fitzalan Chapel did not form part of the parish church, but was an independent ecclesiastical structure. Thus, the Chapel remained Catholic, an unusual, if not unique, anomaly in England. The Chapel is still used as the burial place of the Dukes of Norfolk, and a number of masses are said at the Chapel each year for dukes’ souls, in accordance with the intention of the founder.

Movies
Location for Movies / TV
"The Madness of King George" (1994 - as Windsor Castle exterior). "Bright Young Things" (2003 - passby shot when Adam Fenwick-Symes [Stephen Campbell Moore] and Nina Blount [Emily Mortimer] escape to Arundel for a night). "Hidden Treasure Houses" (2006 - documentary by James Miller). "The Young Victoria" (2009 - as interiors of William IV's residence).
Bibliography

Author   Sayer, Michael
Year Published   1993
Reference  


Author   Pevsner, Nikolaus; Nairn, Ian
Year Published   1973
Reference   pgs. 91-93


Author   Robinson, John Martin
Year Published   NA
Reference   pgs. 19, 28-29


Author   Waterfield, Giles; et al.
Year Published   1998
Reference   pg. 18



There are no documents associated with this house.


This website and all its content, except where specified otherwise, is
© Copyright 1999-2014 by The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
~The DiCamillo Companion name, the double griffin logo, and the double griffin logo
set within the Neoclassical door surround are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The Curt's Curiosities name and the Medusa head logo are trademarks of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.
~The griffin with flaming torch logo is a trademark of The DiCamillo Companion, Ltd.